Sunday, October 29, 2006

Odds & Sods

I finally had a chance today to read Planetary # 26, which I'd bought this week. It appears this'll be the 2nd last issue of that great title, and it pretty much wraps up the amazing story that's taken about 6 years or so to tell. For my money, this is Warren Ellis' signature comic series, although I know many folks prefer Transmetropolitan, a title I've never gotten into. Planetary is the kind of series that, once the final issue comes out and they announce a mega hardcover collection of it, I'll spend the ridiculous wad of cash required to own a second, unified copy so I can re-read it more easily and loan it out to interested parties (like I do with Watchmen, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Sandman, and Kingdom Come, and wish I could do with Miracleman, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing issues, and The Dark Knight Returns, but don't own the hardcovers). It's just that good!

Speaking of Ellis, I think I'm adding his blog page to my short list, since it seems to be interesting. For example, I loved the article he posted the link to proving that vampires are a mathematical impossibility (take that, Buffy and Anne Rice!).

And finally, I catalogued a couple weeks' worth of new comics today, and discovered that the collection is sitting at 25,999. That's right: 1 comic shy of 26,000. And the funny part is: a Civil War spin-off title, Civil War: Choosing Sides, was supposed to be out last week, and I had planned to check it out and buy it if it looked good. But it never made it here, at least not to my local comic store. So I was that close to hitting 26,000 this past week!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

But that means if a vampire ever is created we're pretty much screwed.

Good job (almost) reaching 26,000!

Anonymous said...

Wow...just a crazy number of comics!!! Do you remember the milestone ones? 1,000....5,000....10,000...20,000 and 25,000?