Tuesday, October 24, 2006

With Friends Like These..

One of the handful of honest to God friends I have in the world these days, upon finally checking out my blog site today (I pointed him to it a couple weeks ago), had this response:

Holy Shit, you write a lot.

Now, I can't argue with that assessment (averaging 2 to 3 blogs per day is probably considered a lot in most circles, at least among the blog sites I go to that are manned by one person). But I guess it's slightly disappointing, as reactions go. I mean, I could've blogged about the weather 2 or 3 times each day and still qualified as doing a lot. I also could've provided a travelogue of my day-to-day life to meet this criterion. In fact, let's try to imagine what some of those posts might've looked like...

Blog Entry 11:

So I biked home today, and boy was it cold! Sure, I had my headband and gloves on, and an extra layer up top, but you still feel the chill on that ride, I'm telling ya. I miss the days of shorts and a T-shirt. But I did get to see some squirrels carrying nuts and other winter supplies around, and you don't get to see much of that in the warmer months! (Squirrels, it seems, have seasonal tendencies of their own though not as extreme as, say, geese, who actually migrate South for the winter!)

Blog Entry 43:

Tonight I'm watching some excellent TV programs! We just finished 30 Rock, the oh-so-funny new sitcom starring Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin. I call it a sitcom but it's not your typical situation comedy since the premise is that of crew producing a Saturday Night Live type comedy, rather than just being about people at home whose jobs you hardly even hear about, like most sitcoms tend to be. After that, we watched Lost and wouldn't you know it, Locke went and rescued Mr Eko from a polar bear! A polar bear! On a tropical island! How silly is that? But still I love that show! And now we're watching The Nine, which is about nine people who were in a bank robbery and now they're not, but they can't help thinking back to when they were. Sort of like Lost, except with a bank robbery instead of a plane crash!

Blog Entry 219:

My boss can be so mean somedays! Today he made me go to a meeting that lasted for 3 hours. Three. Hours. And my laptop battery only lasts one hour and forty-five minutes, so that's over an hour during which I had to actually listen to the stupid arguments and discussions. There's no way that's fair, and yet there I was!

Blog Entry 498:

Here's my quiz, I hope you like it!

If you were a car, what type would you be?
If you could talk to any famous person, living or dead, who would it be?
If you had to pick one person in your family to go to the Moonn with, who would it be?
If you saw someone drop a $100 bill out of their wallet, would you tell them or just pick it up and keep it?
If you had to pick between losing your sight or your hearing, which would you pick?
If you could only watch one TV show for the rest of your life, which show would it be?
If you knew your best friend was cheating on his or her spouse, what would you do?

.. and so on ..

I mean, if it's all about quantity, that kind of stuff would suffice, right?

Right?

And I get to punch the first person to ask why I think my blogs are any different!!

5 comments:

Tammy said...

I agree, your posts are high in content as well as quantity. But if someone just took a first glance at it they would probably notice the volume first.

If you watch the extended trailer for the departed you can hear enough of the van morrison cover to get the gist of it. Roger waters does all the verses, and VM does the chorus (there is no pain you are receeding, and so forth). It sounds drastically different and I remember the first time I heard it (in the trailer) my reaction wasn't positive. But after hearing it used in the movie and later acquiring it and listening to it on repeat all day - I just love it! Hearing someone with more of a "layman's voice" makes it all the more haunting I find. I can put it up for you to download if you want.

I do agree that Eternal Sunshine would perform admirably under the test of multiple viewings. Others that stand out for me on this dimension: lost in translation, all the good woody allens, field of dreams, pleasantville, wonder boys. I have a feeling the departed will be among these for me soon! I think I might have to see it in theaters again before it leaves.

Re: my vague blog entry. I want to go to med school and be a surgeon! Crazy and stupid right?

PS. My exam went really well this morning!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Me, download a song that musicians worked hard to create, without paying them for their effort? That'd be stealing!

I wonder if it's going to be on a VM or RW CD anytime soon, or just the movie soundtrack?

Anonymous said...

I didn't like the cover at all! I find that RW's voice has deteriorated to such a degree now (probably from smoking) that he would sound better talking through the parts (as he does on some of his latest solo stuff).

I'm a big RW fan (my favourite era of PF stuff was his)...but I've stopped getting his stuff anymore because it ruins my appreciation for him.

If he just released his lyrics as poetry, I'd buy that!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah...you sure do write a lot. ;)

Anonymous said...

Pssh, well technically it'd be downloading from ME! Like... borrowing a movie! Yeah yeah I'll stop here.

Didn't they do the cover together in Berlin? Not sure if it's the same version, but if so you could hear it there.

Yeah RW doesn't sound too great but I love VM doing the chorus.